Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Flowers, Gazebos, & Summer

Today started early, with a gentle knock-knock on my door at 7:05 AM from Jesse reminding me that I should have been awake five minutes ago.

After hurriedly getting ready, I boxed up the brownies made at 2 AM (thanks, insomnia!) and headed to the nicely-packed car waiting downstairs. It was time to move Jesse's things back to her house!

Helmuth and I piled into the remaining space of the car while Jesse took the wheel because honestly, she's the best driver of the three of us and she was taking us to her hometown of Shrewsbury, so she knew the way.

The drive there was absolutely beautiful: lots of trees, little lakes, and a beautiful blue sky. We got to Jesse's house and unpacked, and all the while I was marveling at East Cost novelties like basements, strips of grass between sidewalks and roads, and trees by the side of the road in a suburb (none of which exist where I'm from. Except for the trees, but there aren't nearly as many in my neighborhood).

After moving Jesse's boxes into the house, we had the rest of the day to do whatever we wanted, so we headed to the Shrewsbury town square. There was a gazebo, which fit in well with the quaint New England small town charm.


We then drove to the botanical gardens in Boylston, and were greeted by another gazebo and lots of flowers.


It was here that Helmuth took lots of pictures of plants, I took lots of pictures of Helmuth taking pictures of plants, and Jesse took a couple pictures of me taking pictures of Helmuth taking pictures of plants. Very meta.



Have I mentioned how beautiful the grounds were?





There were also snacks, courtesy of Jesse.

We also climbed to the summit (and by "climb," I mean "walked four minutes up a very mild hill") and enjoyed the view of the surrounding forest and reservoir.



Helmuth and Jesse took more fancy-shmancy pictures.


And of course, there was lots of cuddling.



It was finally lunchtime, so we went to Moe's, a southwestern restaurant. They had a salsa bar, so taste-testing and salsa-swapping shenanigans ensued-- I unsuccessfully tried to convince Helmuth that he had developed a complete tolerance to capsaicin by switching my mild for his Extreme-Ghost-Pepper-Melt-Your-Face-Off salsa.

We hit up Lowe's to get locks for the French House cabinets, and we got a little distracted at the checkout line, of course.


Helmuth played with the price checker because "it makes pretty patterns!"

After Lowe's we went to Lake Quinsigamond, the launch site of Jesse's high school crew team. There was a race today, so Jesse was able to catch up with high school friends while Helmuth and I relaxed in the shade of the rowing center and ate brownies (which, honestly, the three of us had been working on all day). It was all quite picturesque.

Helmuth claimed my scarf. It is now his, no takesies-backsies.


Jesse helped her old crew team move equipment for their race, who did well!


It was time to head home, so we started the drive back to Boston. I napped in the back of the car while Helmuth and Jesse discussed everything Course 6. We stopped to grab pizza at California Pizza Kitchen and literally wrestled over who got to pay the bill.


We returned the Zipcar and made our way back to New House, just in time for my shift at Front Desk. Jesse and Helmuth are adorably sleepy after the long day.


No comments:

Post a Comment