Monday, June 1, 2020

An LMF 2020 Appreciation Post

AKA a few of my favorite memories

Having just graduated in MIT's first online commencement, I did not feel that much closure to these last four years. I don't think the commencement organizers could have done much differently - there's only so much you can do to replace the feeling of everyone being together in the same physical space. However, the mini zoom celebrations afterward (for me: Course 3, Terrascope, and DPhiE) were filled with nostalgia, goodbyes, and the promise of reunions. LMF already did an amazing job at putting together a last-minute senior sendoff during the insanity of our last days on campus (which I should probably detail in a later blog post, since I guess that was a unique moment in history), but I will add my own post-graduation celebratory post in honor of our class year in LMF.

Here are some of my favorite memories, in no particular order:

Azzo

Thank you for taking me out to a bar on my 21st birthday! Even though it took a while, since the first bar wouldn't accept your Oxford ID rip, it was a lot of fun. I don't know how it happened, but we coincidentally share orchestra and writing hobbies, which is pretty convenient, except when you send me viola > violin memes. A runner-up memory, which unfortunately I didn't have a great picture of, was that time we played background music for Dolce & Gabbana, and we got paid but one of the managers was pretty rude and snobby, and honestly the entire experience was kind of surreal. Here's to sharing more surreal memories in the future!

Azzo and I out and about on my 21st birthday!

 David

This picture is that day we went hiking in the summer with Liz and Jesse after seeing Tanglewood during a downpour. For some reason, even though the trails were pretty flooded and we were mostly skipping on slippery rocks, it was still a fun trip. I didn't want to deal with uploading a video onto this website, but perhaps my favorite part of the hike was when we had to work together to cross a rushing river by dislodging a tree trunk and using it as a bridge to cross to the other side. I think we were crazy, but it worked. Second favorite memory would probably have to be that time we went to EC and you showed off your dance skills to Taylor Swift. Thanks for being a great friend and president!
David in a yellow raincoat in the woods.

Effie

My favorite memories are basically all the LMF trips that you organized. Throwback to our most recent trip in Quebec, which was my first time in Canada. I don't think any of our 2020 trips would have been possible without your amazing organizational skills and Airbnb sightings, not to mention you are the most trusted driver in our group and put together great playlists. Second favorite memory would have to be freshman year when Kedi, Larry, and I went to cheer you on in Terra-hockey and we were pretty much the only people in the audience ("try to do BETTER!"). Good luck in California!

Our senior fall trip in Quebec <3

Jakob

I could have picked the memory from freshman year when we painted the Tardis door together in old New House, and you had basically painted everything, but because I have better handwriting and apparently come across as more *artsy*, everybody thought it was me. But I decided to opt for an even earlier memory. This was the first time I went to the BSO, and I remember being super excited but also disappointed because a really tall guy sat in front of me and I couldn't see anything. You switched seats with me, which I was thankful for, and even though I joke that you need to work on your personality, sometimes your personality is okay.

Jakob, Mary, and me coming from the BSO.

 Kedi

This is an early memory from the Terrascope spring break trip. Again, I didn't want to deal with uploading videos, but I will forever remember how to eat a taco correctly. Thanks for being a wonderful roommate for the past two years, and I can't wait to visit you in New York and watch Broadway! Another favorite memory (or memories) would have to be interning at Form with you and getting free lunch everyday, or riding in Jarrod's car on the way back from FormFest. Congrats again on Fulbright and your NSF fellowship!

Freshman Kedi and Vivian in Mexico City.

 Kristin

Tragically, I don't have a picture of both of us at Dear Evan Hansen, but the fact that you won the lottery and invited me to come with you like the day after my birthday was one of my favorite birthday gifts ever! Thank you for being sweet and having taste (in musicals and spiciness), and I wish we could have been on the same cook team together. Second favorite memory - beating Zade and Effie at partner hearts haha.

Watching Dear Evan Hansen with Kristin!

 Liz

This is a photo from the summer when somehow you managed to get free tickets to see a national gymnastics competition in TD Garden. I don't even know how that worked out, but watching the gymnasts perform with you was something I'll never forget. It was crazy to have four acts going on at once, and my eyes couldn't decide what to focus on because everyone was so talented and athletic. Also hearing you fangirl about Simone Biles was great lol. Runner-up memory is probably when we went to see Toy Story 4 for your birthday. Thanks for being such a great friend in LMF and DPhiE, and hope that we get to be roommates next year!

Liz and I about to witness pure talent and athleticism.

FĂ©licitations to all the LMF seniors who graduated!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment